Thursday, July 15, 2010

The Hangover [MA]

After throwing a bachelor party that gets WAY out of control, waking up with a headache is the least of their worries. With their best friend missing and a whole heap of other problems to deal with, the truth hits home. Some guys just can't handle Vegas.

Hands down, this has to be one of the most hilarious movies of 2009. I didn't have a very good night last night, so I needed to put on something that would take my mind of things and put me in a good mood. The Hangover was the the first film my eyes rested on.
First of all, I have to admit that I initially had no intention to see this movie at all when it was released in the cinemas. The only reason I hired it on dvd when it came in was because I knew it was going to be a really really really popular title, so I figured I'd do my research. So I could at least tell customers SOMETHING about it. I thought it was going to be another crude American comedy mainly concerned with sex jokes and violence. I don't know, I guess I thought it was going to be like Knocked Up or The 40 Year Old Virgin. I was grossly mistaken.
Everything in the movie came as a surprise to me. I didn't read the summary on the back of the case, I believe that the best way to watch a movie is to no idea or as little idea as possible about the plot. I am glad I took this approach with this movie because it made everything all the more hilarious and got me hooked straight away.

The film begins with an apologetic phone call being made to a bride. On the other end is a mate of the groom's explaining how the bachelor party kind of got a little out of control...
Tracy - "What are you talking about?"
Phil - "The bachelor party, the whole night. Things got out of control and... we lost Doug."
Tracy - "What?"
Phil - "We can't find Doug."
Tracy - "What are you saying Phil? We're getting married in 5 hours!"
Phil - "Yeah. That's not gonna happen."
We then flash back to 2 days earlier where we meet Doug the groom and Alan, the bride's brother. We learn that for Doug's bachelor party, his mates Phil and Stu are taking him and Alan to Vegas for a night of gambling, drinking, and other last-night-of-freedom fun. Soon enough into the film we meet Phil and Stu and then we're off to Vegas. After waking up the next morning suffering from massive hangovers, Phil, Stu, and Alan realise that Doug is nowhere to be found. Not only that, but none of them can remember a thing about what happened during the bachelor party. Can they find Doug in time for his wedding? You'll have to watch the film to find out.

Packed with names such as Bradley Cooper, Ed Helms, Zach Galifianakis, Heather Graham, Justin Bartha, Ken Jeong and Jeffrey Tambor, The Hangover is a really clever film that completely includes the audience. I say this because because you totally know how the characters are feeling because, just like the audience, they have no idea what's going on either. Rolling Stone described this film as "killer funny" and I would have to agree. My sides were so close to splitting, I was laughing to hard.
This is a truly clever comedy and I would recommend you sit down and give it a whirl. Balanced with a bit of romance, a bit of violence, gunplay, and live animals, The Hangover is a movie that'll have your head spinning.

No comments:

Post a Comment